2017 Theme: ANCHORED

For we have this hope as an anchor for the soul, firm and secure. 
(Hebrews 6:19)

Water is unpredictable. This is a truth you learn very quickly working at camp. I remember taking a group out onto Rangeline Lake for a fun afternoon of canoeing during my first summer as a counselor. And it was fun—until it was time to head back in and I realized that the wind had picked up. It was blowing us away from the safety of the channel where we had launched our canoes and out across the open lake.

I, an experienced college student, struggled to even get my canoe turned around against the force of the wind. I looked behind me to see my campers’ boats scattered across the lake. All I could think was that staff training did not prepare me for this! as I watched the canoes get tossed around by the wind.

In the end, I had to paddle up to each boat individually and help tow them to the nearest shoreline. Once everyone was finally safely on shore, we walked back to main camp leaving a scattered array of empty boats and canoe paddles behind us. It was quite the adventure!

That was a day when we could have used an anchor. An anchor is what secures your boat against the wind and the waves. It’s what keeps your boat safe in the storms. It’s what protects your boat from getting blown off course and lost. It’s what secures your boat from crashing against the rocks.

Our theme this year at Camp Luther is ANCHORED. It’s based on the above verse in Hebrews, which promises us that the hope we have in Jesus Christ is an anchor for our soul, firm and secure. All the things that an anchor is, Jesus Christ is for us.

We have the hope that He is with us no matter what. We have the hope that we can trust Him no matter what we’re facing in life. We have the hope of resurrection, of life after death, because Jesus defeated death, defeated sin, and made a way for us to be with God through His death on the cross. That’s what it means that Jesus is our anchor, and we’re incredibly excited to dive into the theme of ANCHORED this year at Camp Luther.


~Kardia, Director of Programs


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thank You, 2017 Summer Staff!

Thank You!

Welcome Janette "Swoops" Marien

Popular posts from this blog

Meet the 2017 Summer Staff!

Here We Grew!

Thank You, 2017 Summer Staff!